- Leftovers: glass mason jars are great for storing leftovers, and you don't have to worry about plastic food storage safety with a canning jar.
- Drinks: canning jars are great for toting around drinks, or for storing smoothies, etc. in the fridge for later.
- Sourdough starter: pint jars are good for creating a new sourdough starter, to store and maintain for the longterm just switch over to a quart or half gallon jar.
- Mason jar meals are an easy way to have a prepared meal with you for lunch at work. For ideas on canning jar meals visit: http://thedecoratedcookie.com/2010/10/a-mason-jar-meal-my-6th-pfb-challenge/
- Store herbs in the fridge. Fill jar 3/4 of the way with water then place herbs in the jar and into the fridge.
- Store dried goods: dried veggies and fruits store easily in canning jars and you can also easily see what you have in your pantry.
- Mix and store salad dressings in your canning jars.
- Use to ferment and/or pickle foods.
- Store dry baking mixes. Be sure to label them, as some mixes look similar but taste completely different.
- Use for food gifts. Layer dry ingredients for a recipe or use for layers of hard candy, etc.
Thursday, July 12, 2012
Ways to Use Extra Canning Jars in the Kitchen
If you have an excess of canning jars and have already tried the mason jar ideas that we listed from Pinterest, here are 10 more ideas for your canning jars: